Wednesday, May 11, 2005

To Stand or Not to Stand

Sunday was Mother's Day. Because of this, a debate ensued in our household over the prior two weeks revolving around whether or not I would be standing up when the pastor asked all the mothers in the congregation to stand.

J's position was that a baby that exists, whether in the womb or out, has to have a mother - and as such, I should stand up on account of the fact that I AM that biological mother.

My position was that Mother's Day is to celebrate those women in our lives who gave birth, sacrificed, loved, raised, and cared for a child as only a mother can. Since I have done none of these things, I am no more worthy of Motherhood recognition now than I was a year ago.

The argument progressed, each side holding firmly to their beliefs and determined that the other was simply ignorant, stubborn, or trying to be difficult. Others had input into the situation, and supported one side or the other, but neither party was willing to budge.

The clock ticked away until we were at last in that service awaiting the call to "stand."

And then it happened. Or rather, didn't happen. For the first time since I can remember, I attended a Mother's Day church service where there was no call for the mothers to stand. Thus rendering all heated debates entirely superfluous.

Mais c'est la vie, n'est pas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home