Friday, March 04, 2005

Super-Size My Champagne

Watched Super-Size Me! for the first time. Ewwwwww. It will probably be a little while before I eat at McDonald's again. I have to admit that it does make me twinge everytime I have to categorize a McDonalds or a Wendy's expense as "dining out" in Microsoft Money. They should have a different category for "consuming food products that rot your insides."

Though I doubt the movie has permanently turned me off of fast food, because I am a great believer in moderation, and don't really see any evidence that my once-a-month or less fast food "dining out" experience is going to kill me.

But I did get an education on those chicken nuggets I've always been fond of.

I had a friend in middle school who found a feather in her McDonald's chicken nugget. At the time, that was as gross as it got. Actually, looking back on it, we should have seen it as a relief. You know, hardcore evidence that the food we were consuming was actually made from meat that used to be real at one time.

The McDonalds' around here seem to be making a great effort to overcome past reputations. There are a few locations around our house that we refer to as the Petroleum Club McDonalds. Walking into one of these immediately hits one with a sense of disorientation. Marble floors, mahogany wood walls and bookshelves (complete with classic editions), glass chandeliers, fireplaces, and that little sign in the bathroom that says We strive to keep our restrooms upholding to the highest standards of cleanliness. If this restroom does not meet with your approval, please flip this switch to notify the manager.

The whole Petroleum Club McDonald's experience is a bit surreal. I'm waiting for the day when I order from the dollar menu and get asked if I want champagne with that.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM , Blogger Jane Dark said...

You should take pictures of the Petroleum McDonalds, that sounds interesting. I must confess, I have not seen Supersize Me, and I do not plan to. I think it would make me puke. Nor do I mind the fact that it didn't win at the Oscars, for the same reason. Yes, I am a pansy with a weak stomach in regards to food.

However, if Morgan Spurlock had made a movie based on the idea that we should offer people a free brand new mint condition red Camaro on the condition that they undergo permanent sterilization, and hired a surgeon to perform the sterilizations, etc. -- that, I would have been first in line for.

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Jane Dark said...

Oh -- and oops. I just realized that my prior comment could be misread as a suggestion that someone ought to offer you a Camaro...not what I meant at all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home