Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bloating & Shifting

Yeah, this is going to be one of those pregnancy status posts. There will probably be a lot of these in the next several months so DEAL WITH IT. And after that, there will probably be a lot of baby posts because this is a blog about MY LIFE and I hear babies have a way of TAKING OVER YOUR LIFE.

I discovered something very comforting yesterday. Apparently it's quite common for women to experience bloating and a "shifting" of the internal organs between 6-8 weeks of pregnancy, which results in a swelling of the stomach area.

And I just thought I was getting overly fat. Technically, I shouldn't be showing for another few months, but I have noticed a marked increase in the size of my belly over the past few days... which led to a nervous self-consciousness, especially since I've been walking a lot recently and haven't been consuming more food than normal. I think I have a phobia of becoming one of those women who gain 100 pounds during pregnancy (ugh!) and as a result have an enormous diabetic baby and can't lose the weight after birth. Yikes.

The pregnancy advice and information websites warn against putting on too much weight during pregnancy because it's harmful to the baby. Of course they also say not to diet because that's harmful to the baby. So unless God himself keeps me skinny, this kid's pretty much screwed either way.

Anyway, the news that I'm not a freak (at least not physically) especially came as a relief to J. Try as he might, men are just not equipped with any adequate defense for the "I'M FAT" panic attack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home