Monday, March 07, 2005

Baby's First Picture


First Ultrasound 3/7/05

Had my first pre-natal doctor appointment today. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. J went with me so he could hold my hand during the needle part but they didn't even stick me (though I hear that comes later).

And I even got my first sonogram. Not that you can see much from the picture I got to take home, but we did get to see the baby's heart beating on the screen and got a lesson in detecting which shapless blob was the head and which one was the yolk sac.

Evidently my uterus is shaped like a pork chop and this baby has wedged itself into the narrow tip. Looks like we might be having a shy kid, though I don't see how if it has J for a father.

The medical world seems to be full of terms that sound worse than they are. Never having been through this before, I got a little nervous when the doctor started talking about the sonogram PROBE. Oh, and the CYST on my right ovary where the egg was released that we can't do anything about except watch it right now because it's regulating the progesterone. Apparently that's pretty normal and it should go away sometime after the placenta takes over. And then they start telling you all about the tests that are available to determine Cleft Palate and Downs and Cystic Fibrosis and all kinds of other scary malformations.

But from all appearances everything seems to be pretty normal and there's no cause for alarm yet. YET.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home