Friday, March 11, 2005

Dear Dog...

The following post is written solely for the benefit of my dog. And yes, for all you skeptics out there, he DOES understand the English language and is probably at home surfing the internet at this very moment. Unless he's sitting patiently to the side while my cat renames all the desktop icons. Again.

But I digress.

Dearest Hastings,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for life, truly, but I believe there is an area we need to discuss. Namely, the middle-of-the-night bursts of energy that seem to have taken over your sanity and my ability to sleep well over the past two nights.
I understand that because you insist on drinking a half gallon of water just before bed, there will be the occasional - OCCASIONAL - time when you will need to rise in the middle of the night to relieve yourself. I can live with that. But aside from those occasional times, the following is a list of life facts that I hope you will take into consideration in the future - if for nothing else, to save yourself some time and me some sleep.

  1. If you have gone to the bathroom at approximately 4:00am, I will not believe you when you try to convince me you need to go again at 4:30am.
  2. The fact that the cat has just regurgitated an entire day's worth of food outside the bedroom door is not - and I repeat NOT - a good enough reason for us to get out of bed and open the bedroom door. Trust me, it will still be there in the morning and if we can help it, you won't get to eat it anyway, even though it is recycled bits of your own food. Learn to be a little more territorial about your food and maybe the cat will stick to his own "sensitive stomach" food.
  3. Licking the door doesn't open it.
  4. Whining at the door doesn't open it.
  5. Throwing yourself into the door doesn't open it.
  6. Jumping up on the door and scratching your claws all the way down like fingernails on a chalkboard doesn't open the door.
  7. Licking my hand, my elbow, and/or my nose doesn't open the door.
  8. Standing on my hip does not instill me with the urge to play with your rope toy.
  9. Pulling clothes out of the laundry basket may get me out of bed. It may also get you a squirt in the mouth with the bitter spray. BUT IT DOES NOT OPEN THE DOOR.
  10. PULL ALL THE COVERS OFF THE BED ONE MORE TIME AND SO HELP ME GOD...

Just so you know, there is a puppy-sized jail cell at Petco with your name on it. And it will go in the far recesses of the house in which no one but the cats will hear your cries for deliverance...

(Insert maniacal laugh here)

1 Comments:

At 1:48 PM , Blogger Terry said...

Nice post. Very funny.

Terry
youareadog.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home