Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The "S" Word

After a weekend away, J came home last night to a quiet evening of the History Channel and BLT Sandwiches. As we're curled up on the couch, he suddenly spurts out, "It occurred to me this weekend that we're going to have to explain sex to this kid someday."

Yes, he tends to think ahead. Far, far ahead. This morning we were talking about the war with China after 2008. But that's a topic for another blog.

Funny thing was, I had just had a conversation with my parents this weekend on how they and other parents had explained the birds and the bees. As far as we could remember, though my mom used delicately chosen vocabulary, there were no creative analogies or metaphors. It was pretty straight forward talk to both my brother and myself. And she noted that we each only ever asked once.

It was fun in middle and high school to compare notes with friends though on how they learned about THE TOPIC EVERY PARENT FEARS. I had one friend whose parents used keys and doorknobs. Another set of parents used plugs and electrical outlets.

And of course there's always the "Bank of Love" where the man goes to make a deposit in the woman's account. Next week's lesson is what it means when the woman has the "Next Teller Please" sign up.

This blog doesn't usually get a lot of comments, but if you're passing through, feel free to leave a note about how you learned about where babies come from.

1 Comments:

At 11:01 PM , Blogger Jane Dark said...

Umm. They didn't ever give me the talk. I learned from Jean M. Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear. If they hadn't caught me giving the talk to one of my brothers, maybe they would have given it to me.

Darn it all, why didn't I think of writing a Falcon article on that? It would have been good, I think.

Condolences on your waistline.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home